View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Johnson View Post
Ken, I had the Regular, and then the Weichs Evahs on my bass in succession. I really liked the Regulars a lot... but the Weichs have just been better for my purposes in every respect. They have more sustain on my bass, and the sound just seems more open. They feel just great... the regulars used to tire me out a bit on long days of playing, but I can go 24-7 on the Weichs. I feel that they are my "default" string now... I really can't ask for anything more, especially at the price.
In my opinion, the difference is mainly the tension. I think the Bass is effected the most which in return effects the player. Each bass has it's own 'sweet spot' and that's why we string them differently. Brand, gauge, material, etc. The Bass is happy when it's happy. No one string is best for all basses or all players.

I love the soft feel of the regular Evah's on my big Gamba as much as I did the Weichs. The regular Evah's felt heavier on my Gilkes (Jilkes), the exact same set. Now that they are on the Big Gamba, I can't see much difference either way from the Weichs that were on there before the Extension was made. The Top is very strong and the bass very responsive. At the time, the bass did not have an extension so I put the Weichs on. Now they make a Weich E/C but I already have the regulars on so that's how it will stay for now.

Maybe now that the bass has been played a bit and the Weichs have an E/C, next time I buy strings for it I will try the Weichs again. That's if I still have the bass. It was the 'hot one' at the ISB.