View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Posting Member

Greg Clinkingbeard is on a distinguished road
Default Set up differences/jazz and classical players

I've been curious about the priorities and methods of general bass set up.
As a relatively inexperienced player, compared to others here, I have a lot to learn, but I've played a lot of different basses, both at jazz jam sessions, and shops catering to primarily classical players or jazz players.

At a recent jam session I had the unexpected opportunity to play a few tunes on a Prescott bass that cost upwards of $25K. The strings were hiked up higher than any bass I've ever played; so much that it was painful after just a few minutes. It did put out some sound though, but if you can't play what's in your head, what's the point. I'll be going back for more this weekend.

At the other extreme are basses with fb's nearly straight and strings almost touching the board. These are the easiest to play, but you give up some volume.

I'm somewhere in the later camp for sure.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I wonder if we could benefit from a discussion: How to set up a bass for various styles of play. What are the considerations for planing a fb, cutting a bridge etc. How do they differ for pizz and arco play.

I understand that the there isn't a Jazz setup or a Classical setup, but rather a combination of elements that accomodate a particular players style and wishes.

Thoughts anyone?