View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Set-up re-posting..

I gave a few answers in another Thread here and suggested to Greg to start this new Set-up Thread. I would like to post my previous replies and thoughts to start and get this ball rolling.

All the guys I have used for repairs and set-ups in the past do work for all types of players.

I have seen quite a varied preference of height, width and arch from both Orchestral and Jazz players. I will venture to say that there is no such thing as a Jazz or Classical set-up at all but rather just preferred set-up Specs depending on the actual Player.

Set-up starts with the Bass itself and the Fingerboard radius you have. If you like a certain arch and the Fingerboard is over or under rounded for the way you like it, the Bridge arch will not give the desired height from string to string across the FB. In this case, it needs to be re-worked or replaced. If the Neck is set too low to the Top, it may be difficult to get the strings low enough. Re-setting the Neck stand is a common Professional modification that improves the possibility of getting the desired set-up.

As each Bass is different, it is important to have the Bass in its best possible condition before the set-up begins. If not, the work will be a compromise for a less that optimum set-up.