View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Smile well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ken or Arnold, what do you know about the DB John is playing in this clip (....in addition to the fantastic sound he projects)?
I think it's Ray Browns old bass that is pictured on the cover of the Oscar Peterson Album "We get Requests". Ray had another Bass before that one that's now in the Toronto area with a Symphony player. Ray told me he sold it becuase it was too delicate for the road. The Bass John is playing is an old German Orchestra Bass from the late 19th century (in my opinion, not humbly.. lol). We see a bot of these basses and often they are called French because the look nicer than the rub in the mill Factory German stuff.

Quote:
.. quoted by Arnold above; Yeah, first I was attempting to bow the melody to "My Romance". I look up and Paul Ellison is standing next to me. I exclaim, "Paul, I don't really do this!" (play the bass). Then the three of us are playing a fast blues, and I open my eyes because I notice the guy next to me is SMOKIN! And it's John Clayton! Holy crap!!! What key were we in? Only at the ISB...
Actually Arnold and folks, we were playing the 'Blues' when Paul walked in. When John happened by, we were doing ''Greater Love' hence the reason I mentioned I needed help with the changes. Playing the 'Blues' is breakfast for me. I would not have asked for help if that were the case..

Just a slight correction in my own defense. Arnold is still sore from getting his butt handed to him on the Golf course.

Of course I know the changes to the Blues.. any key..