View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post

Well, watching Leon Bosch play my big Gamba was amazing so I guess I did have a few of those. Also, watching Stefano play the Gilkes, Candi and other basses I went there as well. All in all, looking back at the players in my booth including Paul Ellison and John Clayton whom each played only a few minutes, I was thrilled to see it was one of my basses in their hands that together produced a sound I would be happy to almost die for.

The other experience was just meeting them. I had Sergio Scaramelli in the booth a few times and besides him being the one that gave new life to my Martini in 1999, he played beautifully as well. Sergio uses the Bille style Italian fingering which is 1-3-4, not using the 2nd in the lower positions. Both Sergio and Stefano played the Candi back to back. Sergio has a Candi Cello in his personal collection and just loved seeing and playing the only bass Candi ever made.

I guess the experience of meeting and talking with these people one on one as they played the basses or played for me which is how it felt, combined gave me one of those thig-a-ma-jigs Calvin.

These guys and gals are people too and watching them all play in the same week on my basses was heaven. I told Stefano after playing my basses, that they are now 'Blessed' having been made more musical than ever from his hands. I never in my life with all the players that have played it heard sounds from the Gilkes like I did that first time he walked into the booth. Each note was so musical sounding.

The ISB for me was a life experience, not just a show. Some of these players are like living Gods with a bass in their hands and so humble as well.