View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ok, so..

At the ISB I was fortunate to have met with Michael Krahmer from Pollmann, the cheif maker (along with his younger brother Ralph) and a respected Bass expert as well.

Michael put the bass up on a stool on its back and had a look inside and out but without a needed light. Then upon examining the lower bass-side corner a 'smoking gun' came out. Under all the Varnish and repairs the C-Bout Purfling coming down on the Bass side crosses over the Lower Bout Purfling coming up to the C-Bout as well as a small Joint exposed between the edge and the Top just where the Purfling route joins the Top under the Corner.

Conclusion, 'estimate'? This Bass was CUT down. It is huge now but was even wider as I suspected on both the upper and Lower Bouts as the Bouts themselves have no Purfling at all. The Purfling runs only along the Top and Bottom Block areas as well as the C-Bouts but the edges have worn there. I was told that this was wear but the 'lines' of the Bouts tell me a different story with about 1/2" missing in width of each bout, about 1" overall Top and Bottom. That was my initial feeling some 5 years ago and now I am reassured that my eyes and brain were working just fine back then.

Those soft lower Corners, one of the big mysteries up until now is actually a later modification, we think!

Just as we were trying to pick the period and location of the maker in England we find this out. Still, the modelling and mix of flavors point to English but by who, where or when?

So, as far as origin goes, we are still not certain. As far as construction goes, the Bass was bigger originally in the width, not necessarly the length by much. The re-curve is only evident at the Top Bout so the Bass could have been an inch longer as well with the Purfling being replaced as evident up at that suspicious lower bout corner.

I owe this discovery(we think) to Michael Krahmer as everyone else missed it.