View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jeff White is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Hire View Post
Sorry to labour a point but are Americans not allowed to belong to the Communist Party?
Apologies to all for being off topic.
5ths would include big stretches? I'd surely like to hear more about what they discuss at the ISB fifths convention.
Actually, it's more about an efficient use of the left hand than stretching- Watch Joel Quarrington play on youtube if you can. He's the most prominent living bassist using the tuning, and certainly the guy when it comes to Fifths tuning. He was also the last teacher I had before becoming a professional bass player. What he does is actually very akin to what Rabbath does. Joel studied with Petracchi as well, and his methods have also enabled what he does. When i studied with him ten years ago, Joel was using all Thomastik Dominant strings which have massive tension. Thomastik also made a set of Bel Cantos for him that were designed for 5th tuning.

Also, Ken, Sprirocores might be making a big comeback in the bowed world. I have it on good authority that one of the finalists for principal of Chicago played the audition with a full set.