View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Cracked Juzeks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kilroy View Post
hi again... sorry if this is in wrong area; trying to find way around.

I can appreciate what the instruments are doing well vs another but I was clueless as to whether the Juzek is really worth that kind of money. (10000.00 for 7/8, 1960 ~ 70 with multiple stable cracks in ribs and a C extension and poor finish condition but sounds great) The Shen sounds great as well for 8000.00. Ken has indicated a couple to view at his site and those are beautiful instruments that likely sound great as well.

I am rank beginner but with a musical background and I want and have saved to get a decent bass from the start and look forward to making it sound better every day as I improve. Style will be all over the place. Were going to Fiddle Camp this summer but training in classical lessons.
The workmanship of the Wilfer type Basses as supplied to Juzek were not as good in my opinion as todays high end Shen Basses. The Juzek Basses were Shop/factory made Basses supplied to the NYC Schools and others as well. These were student grade Basses as compared to the older handmade Basses available between 1930 and 1966 or so. The exception is the Master Art series identified by the Violin Corners and super high flamed Back and sides. Even these Basses have cracks now.

Juzek, Wilfer, Pfretzschner, Morelli, Roth and all the other import Brands are fairly similar in quality with the exception of the current condition and the grade of wood used. These are mainly German Basses made for the commercial distribution market to supply to shops or schools in USA.

I have owned many Basses by these Shops in the past and personally know members of the Juzek Family as well as knowing Sam Shen and the CSC gang. If you like the sound of the older Bass, be aware that one with many repaired cracks can be high maintenance over time. Also, most Basses I but I have taken apart and completely re-built as the repairs are more often budget fixes to patch it up and keep it on the road. You can spend 5-10 on a middle of the road restoration. Also, do you yourself have an expert to help you look at these old Basses for Bass Bar or Soundpost cracks, sunken top, neck repairs, set-up need, fingerboard health etc etc etc..

Any of the above mentioned items can run hundreds to thousands for EACH problem you find. A new Shen? I would trust it. I currently have 3 Shens on order as well as 3 Calin Wultur Basses to replace the stock I sold. In those Basses I will get a high end model from each the best Chinese and best Romanian shops.

The two Shens I have are 5 and 10 years old. NOT a Single crack ever and not even a humidifier was used to control the conditions. I trust the Corsini's will hold up as well.

I know one local player with a very old Juzek/Wilfer Bass in great condition that he turned down 10k for it. On the other hand, I have seen some that I would not take for free as the repairs will exceed its value even fully restored.