View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kilroy View Post
hi again... sorry if this is in wrong area; trying to find way around.

I can appreciate what the instruments are doing well vs another but I was clueless as to whether the Juzek is really worth that kind of money. (10000.00 for 7/8, 1960 ~ 70 with multiple stable cracks in ribs and a C extension and poor finish condition but sounds great) The Shen sounds great as well for 8000.00. Ken has indicated a couple to view at his site and those are beautiful instruments that likely sound great as well.

I am rank beginner but with a musical background and I want and have saved to get a decent bass from the start and look forward to making it sound better every day as I improve. Style will be all over the place. Were going to Fiddle Camp this summer but training in classical lessons.
The bass is only worth $10,000 if you pay $10k. My gut says, go with the Shen-but that is hard to say without seeing/hearing. You could spend that other 2K on a great bow. The other question is, how bad do you want a C-extension? You could spend the much just putting on the extension on the Shen...

Once again, do you have a teacher you can play them for? This will help tremendously.

Brian