View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
Ken, do you usually use the same bow, during all this bass changing? Which is your default stick, if you have one?
Besides the Lipkins of mine that you have played here, I have an earlier (2001) Sartory copy from Peter Eibert in NY, and also a sweet Fetique bow that is just about my favorite now. So, the Eibert gets more play than the others because of its comfort, value and liability I guess and also because I am quite used to it. But, I usually try out a few bows on the bass I'm gonna take out and then pick what's working easiest for the music I have to play as well as how I feel that day.

I also have a Slaviero bow that depending on the bass, the music and how you play, it also comes in at the top of the bow stock. One player recently tried it and preferred the Slaviero over the Fetique of which he owns two of them so he liked the Cremona bow as a contrast and how it played. He gave it quite high marks. He did not like either of the 2 Lipkins bows I have, the Sartory (140 grams) and another Vigneron model at 146gr. but, he said the Eibert is also a nice bow. So, his choices were Slaviero, Fetique, Eibert and then the Lipkins bows. I totally don't see it that way but if you usually play a Fetique which run lighter in weight (in the mid 120s-130s), then the Lipkins bows in the 140s are possibly not your cup of tea. I find this rare from what I have seen with other players but everyone has their own likes and dislike with bows in the orchestra world.

So yes, I do change bows as well for reasons stated.