View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up the Hart..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I am clearly not keeping up; where is the Hart? I don't see it posted as "sold;" is it sold, on trial somewhere, or having work done?

Frankly, I don't know how you could pick between all the lovely, powerful instruments you have. Your new favorites look pretty amazing...
The Hart entered into a sale agreement a few days ago. As soon as it's finalized, I will mark it SOLD. This will be the 5th English bass I've had, played and sold. First was the Dodd, then the Lott copy, then the Gilkes, then the big English Gamba, and now the Hart. I still have 2 other English basses in stock, the Tarr and Panormo school basses, both 4/4 models.

We are only temporary stewards of these fine instruments as they last for centuries if well cared for. I have enjoyed playing off of my past basses and as we speak, I have my eyes on a few other old basses that I would love to have but, conditions have to be just right.

Yet to come back in from restoration are a few other fine basses that might make it to my personal list. The Malvolti and the Gagliano school bass. I also have a nice 7/8th Dolling that has to get done-up with my set-up specs. That bass might make it into rotation as well.