View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the thoughts. Personally, I kind of think afterlength tuning is hooey, too. It may make a difference, but I think as long as you are in the ball park...

On my very first bass I removed the tailpiece completely and it really sounded great! It was a Romanian Hybrid, the finished version of what Kolstein used for his orchestral model bass in the early nineties. I used a wire rig and wrapped each ball end in the wire. No mass equalled a much more resonant bass.

I am very happy with my "Heifetzbass". I pay no attention to what pitches the afterlength is tuned to, and I don't have wolfs, etc... My instrument is old and it moves. I can feel when the weather changes and I know that is stretching the tailpiece wire, string over the bridge, and such.

I was asking more for a colleague that I am sending to Dr. Mike for a new tailpiece. I will probably end up doing the installation. He has one of the Kolstein Carcassi's with the brick (read: cinderblock) of an adjustable tailpiece. I really think it is damping the sound (or at least the response) due to the weight.

I have toyed with putting one of Dr. Mike's compensating tailpiece on my instrument because of the looks. I like "other" woods used other than the traditional ones.

Thanks for the responses. I love hearing all the opinions and "old wives tales" within this realm. It really fascinates me. I really want to be a luthier when I grow up!
Brian