View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default in Germany?

There are many many English, Italian and French Basses for sale currently in German shops from all vintages. Being in Germany during the time of sale has nothing to do with the origin.

The only two countries I know of that have ever produced Guitar shaped basses was either Italy or Spain with Italy being the originator but parts of Italy were under Spanish rule at one time. Many old Spanish makers are of Italian dissent as well and many or then Violin makers there copied mainly Strad, Guadagnini, Guadagaini, Guadagnini and some Gagliano. I looked thru a Spanish Makers book yesterday at Biase's and he pointed out all these great Spanish makers and how Italian looking the fiddles were.

The Germans have copied many many Italian instruments and a few English as well. Most copies are Italian BUT with a Guitar shaped Bass bringing maybe less than the value of a Violin model Bass or even a Gamba, why on earth would the Germans make an Italian Guitar shaped copy?

It does not make sense to me and the re-curve theory or arching's, please.. there are so many styles of making that the first school we blame for oddities or quick work is usually the Italians. Very few Italian Basses have fine work matched to that of their famous Violins. Now sound, thats another story all together.