View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool your label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Gubbels View Post
Hi Ken,
Have you ever taken a photo of the label in this bass? If so, would you be able to post it here? I own a Mougenot as well and would be curious to see if the labels are basically the same… I'll attempt to take a picture of the label in my bass in the next day or two. Thanks!
Most makers' labels will vary over their life span of work. Mine is labeled as *Liege 1875 ("luthier du Conservatorie Liege",*labeled as) but 1875 is also the year that he took over the N.F. Vuillaume shop in Brussels. I think that this bass was possibly made in Brussels rather than Liege being that it has the exact F-holes as Vuillaume and is possible that he didn't have new labels made yet. I cold be wrong.

I don't have a picture of the label as of now. It was removed and sliced off the old brace when the bass was restored but was left stuck to a sliver of wood from the original center brace and glued back in on the back near the under it so as not to harm the label. I can look into taking a picture here thru the F-hole.