View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jonathan Stefaniak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
...On a website in Japan there is a Bass pictured attributed? to GIOVANNI MARIA DEL BUSSETTO(1660). In all of the books I have this maker listed, only Viols, Violins (have seen 3 pictured) or just 'instruments made' is mentioned about him. Not a single Double Bass or a mention of a Busseto corner. He was a Cremona maker from about 1670-1680. His work is listed as 'rare'.
For the record, that 'Busseto named' bass on the Japan website I believe is not Italian at all but more than likely something Germanic, but quite old. Just my opinion.
Stumbled across this thread, and thought I would add for anyone interested-

That 1660 (1661?) Bussetto was on loan to bassist Kazuo Okuda (Ultrabassisimo was his website) and he used it for orchestra playing until he died in 2010. Before, it was played in the Berlin Philharmonic by the principal Rainer Zepperitz. Kazuo wrote-

"This large enormous 5-stringbass "G. BUSSETTO(1661)" was used for 37 years in the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra by Mr.Rainer Zepperitz who was an ex-principal bassist of the BPO, and leader of the Berlin Philharmonic Octet.

When he retired from the BPO, Mr.Ryuzo Ueno who is an instruments collector in Osaka bought this bass from him. And Mr.Ueno is lending it to me since 12 years.
I play on it always in my orchestra because its huge size."

That instrument is a monster. Truely unique. The sound is not what one would call loud or penetrating, but more omnipresent. Deep, forming a real foundational bass for the orchestra. That said it takes tremendous energy to play, and that 112 cm (44in) string length, whew!
The ribs reminded me of the deck of an old pirate ship- wavy and warped over the years.
I attached a couple photos- me trying the bass, a Bussetto corner, and the last Kazuo (RIP) with the Bussetto and his Busan (left) and Magnificent Bergonzi (right)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1458778835761.jpg
Views:	2193
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	3257  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000480.JPG
Views:	1653
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	3258  Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1458778612638.jpg
Views:	1963