View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 03:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool copy of Franz Andreas??

Well, first off, who is Franz Andreas? Never heard of him. Possibly a Brand Name. Copies are usually of famous Italian makers.

The size is possibly a 1/2 size by German standards back then and as well today by some. A small 3/4 is possible but without a new bridge and set-up, it is hard to say. The body size is closer to a small 3/4. 5/8 is an American size, not European to my understanding. It is a factory made plywood bass.

Value, well in 1951, probably no more then $100. In 1950s-60s (post WWII), a 3/4 Juzek imported bass (made by Lang in Mittenwald most likely) was only $150. I had one bought straight from the importer in 1966 and the prices were stable there for over a decade.

So using the inflation calculator, $100 then is about $900 now. Plywood basses are the lower cost student models. 1/2 size is usually for players under 15 or small people as it is too small for a regular sized adult, comparatively. Some adults barely over 5ft tall play 3/4 and 4/4 basses.

As far as actual value, you have to consider the quality of the bass when made as compared to the imported Juzek/Lang basses, old Kay Basses and today's Chinese basses as well. This bass looks fairly cheaply made so it may have been as low as $50 or so new in 1951.

The condition of the bass is fair at best from these pictures. In the least, you need a new bridge and strings as well as a clean up and possibly a fingerboard dressing. From a good bass luthier, that can run you $800-$1000 or more to get the bass playable again.

If this bass came to me for sale, I would be worried about spending more than $100-200 for it as-is knowing what work it needs and what quality it is or isn't. 1/2 sized old factory basses often run 1/2 or less value than a 3/4 bass as it is mainly a student bass for a young person.