View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gencarelli View Post
Ken,

I think it is around 42-42.5". I should have measured it, but spaced out and didn't think about it.

I know it has new neck. (relatively) It was worked on by Bob's Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro, NC when Eliot purchased it. It is a very nice bass, and one that I sit with often in the Greenville Symphony. We have some good wood in that section. It has a really nice sound. Not the most powerful Prescott I have ever played, but very even and I think it is still coming back from all of the interior work that was done to it in the restoration.

It was truly a privledge to work on a bass of this magnitude.

BG
Yes, I have seen that Bass before on Bob's 'site. Prescott basses will vary as did the construction did along with the various graduations he tried and not to mention nearly 200 years of various restorations, repairs or even alterations.

I was privileged to have owned for a short time a Prescott from what we believe to be his early period. It was a 4/4 gamba with the upper bouts reduced as well as the c-bouts but the corners were not touched, just opened up a little deeper for bowing perhaps. The F-wings were still attached and the arching the same as the day it was made. This bass had normal Italian style graduations and were original as we could see the scar shadow of the original bassbar in the top. Great Basses those Prescotts are if maintained.