View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb WBW 3/4, Juzek Master Art

For you Juzek fans, THIS is what a Master Art Juzek/Wilfer bass looks like. It was the last 3/4 they had there in NYC and I had my eye on it for years. Robert Juzek {Jan's/John's brother that ran the business) had a fit when I came in to buy it as they only had 2 of them in the vault, this 3/4 and a 4/4 (7/8) model left and there were no more nor would there be anymore being made or imported. Bobby Juzek, his son took care of the sale with me and because his father was upset about the bass being sold, I paid slightly more than the old catalog price had it listed for. BUT, they did not dare to paste a Juzek Lable in the bass over the original Wilfer label inside. It was not dated but it was 1966 when I first saw the bass years earlier so that date is on the label in blue pen by my own hand, written in thru the f-hole as a reminder. It is older than that though.

This picture is from early 1972 in the studio, recording with Buddy DeFranco/Glenn Miller band for Columbia House. I was a bit dressed up that day because I had a trio gig that night at the Pierre Hotel on 5th Ave. Central Park East. 'My Early Days'.. Very Early!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3240.JPG
Views:	1042
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	3622