View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 AM
Posting Member

Eduardo Barbosa is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Spiro mittel

Hi Ken,
I play a Romanian 7/8's similar to the one you were selling a while back.
I have used EP's regular and weich, Obligatos, belcantos, Zyex, I stll have on hold a set of Helicore Orchestral, and helicore Hybrid to try out. But for some reason Spiros are the ones that truly wake up that particular bass.
I have that bass mainly for Orchestra, but I like the idea of being able to play the same bass for both orchestra and jazz, just so i can become very intimate with one instrument.
The Spiros a little scratchy at times if I am not real careful. But overall I think they sound great and I was told that out front they sound great, and instead of sounding scratchy out front they just make the bass sound very present.
In general I wasn't satisfied with the other strings because after a while they kind of tended to sound just dark and kind of dull. I still love the EP's and have them on my other bass which is a little smaller and brighter.
I will keep practicing all summer with the spiros, and I'll make the commitment of playing the whole next season on them so i can have a real good idea on how they settle in and perform.
BTW, it's also important to mention that I have two new sets of spiros that I am not currently using. I got the set that I am using on ebay for $23 and apparently it had been used for about 5 or 6 years. It really sounds nice. In fact I had a couple of guys from the Colorado Symphony contact me to see if I had a well used set of spiros that they could get from me. That gave me a clue...