View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Great story, about epoxy, ingenuity, vision, and the magic of Sue's work. As an aside, I'll share an epoxy tale of my own.

About twenty something years ago, when visiting my Grandmother, she asked me if I could fix the corner of her garage; she had brushed it with her car. About 6" x 1" x 1/2" of wood trim was obliterated; gone, missing, no longer there.

Of course I would do what I could, but I'd have to work with what I could get either at the local hardware store or from her house. I dammed the area with duct tape. I used Devcon 2 ton epoxy and flour for thickener (works just fine in a pinch). I cast a new area "proud" of the surrounding woodwork and let it harden.

After rasping it down to the level of the surrounding work, sanding it, and hitting it with the touch up paint she had in the basement, you couldn't tell that it had ever been damaged. The repair was still intact and invisible twenty years later, when I last saw the place.

I'll broaden my expression of gratitude for 2 ton epoxy, your guts and ingenuity, wood that breaks along the grain, your playing skill, and for Sue Lipkins' bows!

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 03-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.