View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

Clay Upton is on a distinguished road
Default An Extravagant Solution...

So this is a pricey option, but I am absolutely in love with my Bergantino IP112, which is an HT112 cabinet (Jim's custom Eminence 12" and proprietary tweeter) coupled with an onboard 500W digital power amp (1000W w/extension cab) complete with cabinet tuning DSP and compression. The whole enchilada weighs 42 lbs and the volume is insane. I also have an HT112 extension cabinet which adds up to a 1000W mini stack from hell.

What's great is that different basses and preamps shape the sound as they're supposed to, without interference from the amp. My Sadowsky p-bass with flatwounds sounds equally at home through this rig as does my Smith, even though the two sounds are very different.

I think the only downside is the price...about $1900 for the IP112 and another $600 for the HT112 extension.

If bang for the buck is the order of the day, I vote for the new SWR 1x12 Working Pro combo. At $550, it's got everything you could ask for, including a side mounted input if you wanted to feed an line level source like a monitor mix and blend it with your bass). The tilt back cabinet makes it a bit bulky to transport, but it sounds good and it's relatively cheap.