View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Scott Reed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Folks,

I just tried this combo out this week, and I must tell you, for my needs, I was impressed!

I was originally looking very intently at the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12" when the salesman ("Bear" is his name), who is a HUGE Mesa Boogie fan, sugested I try this new rig that had just shipped to the store. I hooked up my Smith...

I was floored.

The amp is held in a "saddle" that's attached to the nice-sounding 210 cab w/compression tweeter (frankly, the permanently-attached saddle was the only slightly goofy thing I found on it). You can loosen to big thumb screws on each side of the saddle, take the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 amp out (it sports a tube preamp), and use it with any other cab you want. The whole thing (amp and cab) only weighs about 44 pounds. Pretty cool!

The BIG thing that got me going? The power of the easy-to-use amp. It only weighs 3.5 pounds, but pumps out a generous 375 watts at 8 ohms, and, get this - 600 watts at 4 ohms! Bear hooked up a 12" extension cab, and the smooth but powerful volume nearly knocked me off my stool!

I had really been interested in an Eden WTX 260 for portability, but for about the same money the WTX only delivers 175 watts at 8 ohms and 300 watts at 4 ohms.

Folks, I think I'm going to take the Genz Benz plunge. Check this gear out if you can. Any comments?
+100

I've have been playing Mesa gear for years. I currently use an mPulse 600 (with a variety of Powerhouse cabs) but have been searching for an ultra-light rig for small gigs and sessions.

I was at Washington Music Center yesterday (Picking up my new BSR5MSG!!!!!! pics coming soon) and demo'd this small Genz Benz with the 1 x 12". It completely blew me away. Not only was it ultra-light, the volume and tone blew me away. It was crystal clear, tight and loud.

I'm a little afraid of Class D amps right now... too many horror stories and bad designs. I think I will let it mature a little before I buy one... but I will end up buying one.