View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
To Bob B.'s:

Responding to Ken:

If we are getting better results from smaller mics, it is probably more because we are using them with AI amps. The notch filter and phase reversal features are critical feedback reduction measures that make a real difference. The only thing that is better about a smaller mic is that it can be mounted on the bass closer the wood, very close in fact. This gives the mic a stronger input and the large area of the bass in close proximity helps sheild the mic. Other than that, there is no reason I can think of that a smaller mic should or does work better. If you can get the big one right up on the bass, I would think it would be very similar with an AI amp.
I agree with some of this and have a different slant on the rest. I have the same AI Coda combo amp that David has. I think at least part of the reason that we get more mic volume before feedback is the down firing design of the AI combo amps. I only recently started using the notch filter and was still able to get plenty of volume (without the notch) in most situations without feedback.

One difference with the AMT S25B mic is that it was designed and has a preamp that is designed just for doublebass, and it has a built-in shock mount for the mic head. That has to be one of the reasons it works well. The goose neck on the AMT mic allows me to have the mic just barely not touching the top, so as David said it gets more of the wood sound. As I mentioned in a previous post, I used mics wrapped in foam rubber and stuffed in the bridge years ago myself. However, anytime you do that, you have to be deadening the top and bridge vibrations a little (at least).