View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

A few words about the sound with a double bass. The way to tell the difference of a good bass player and a great bass player is the sound. When you have a bass that sends out good frequencies (what my teacher calls base in the sound), and a player that knows how to produce a big sound, you feel it and hear it. The best place to see how your bass sounds in a big room. The way you hear your sound under your ear is not how the audience hears it. Also, the key to a great sound, isn't necessarily raw loudness but how far it sounds. More times than not, the bigger the sound and the more space you fill with your sound, the softer it will sound under your ear.

If your bass sounds good to you from a distance than there isn't much wrong, but at the same time it can be your playing compared to somebody else's playing. Just figured I'd throw in my thoughts here about sound in a bass. Also, if you feel your bass vibrating really freely (I'm not sure how this works on hybrid or plywood's but on carved basses you can really feel them vibrating) your sound will carry.

I can go on for much longer about this topic and I have some questions myself for the resident luthiers. I might start another thread with some of my questions, not sure yet though.

Hope this helps and was relevant,
Nick