View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne holmes View Post
Rob-thanks - I have to say that this last extension that I made was the easiest because I used Rob Anzellotti capos. I don't see anything about them to complain about and they are really easy to install.They are well made with more than just turn the stop and hope for the best engineering.

No matter how good the stops, gates, or whatever you want to call the things you turn - it's hard not to look to see if it's right.

The great thing about Rob's capos is that they can be added on so easily. I would go so far to say that anyone who can use a screw driver can install the side-mounted capos. However, it would be best to let a bass luthier install them for the best result. This is my opinion and experience.

Ken- my favorite of all the extensions pictured was yours- the one that you had on the last post-I think- not much brass showing-very cool!
Which Bass was that Wayne. I have had so many of them. As far as Rob's Capos, I agree they are easy and ready made as compared to the hand made/fit Ebony Capos I get on my Extensions from Arnold and Jeff BUT, I have played Basses with those Capos as well. You get what you pay for. They are not as easy to use as far as flipping them open fast or playing them blind above your head and they do not adjust as fine as far as tension goes. You have limits there to the fixed ration of the screw threads.

If you can't get them handmade or afford them to the quality of the ones made by hand by the better Luthiers that do these then Rob's would be better than bad handmade ones. I would place them as an alternative but not as a premium choice, in my opinion.

I am about to get three or four more extensions made in the next few months. These will be on the new inspired Storioni copy bass, the Storioni (former att.) bass itself, the Mougenot by Jeff and possibly the Malvolti labeled Florentine bass I just got. I don't seem to be able to do without one now that I've been using an Extension of this grade for the last several years. I played some Jazz sets last week and even used it there. Having it and not using it seems a waste, written for or not! (don't tell the conductor, please..)