View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Whys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I think the Robertson extensions are elegant and beautiful. But I have two questions: 1)Why do they screw the extension on (in two places)? This makes it difficult to change strings and near-impossible to dress the fingerboard. 2)Why do they cut fancy filigree into the back of the extension? Sometimes a player needs to quickly get his thumb behind the extension to hold a long note manually, and the dips and points back there make it dangerous.
Arnold, I have almost hurt myself on the Lott I have here with the Robertson's Ext. when fingering fast notes in the Beethoven. Also, I know that E-latch will hit my Eye one of these Days as I play the Bass kind of Low. Why or how they screw it in place beats me because I don't see any visible screws on the one I have here. If I end up getting the Lott, I will have to have at least have the E-latch re-cut for eye safety and then the tension loosened on each latch so I can knock them all open in a hurry with my left hand forefinger/thumb joint when needed. When I try that now, it's like jamming my hand into a piece of Ebony as the first Latch stops and jams my knuckle.

Your Ext's work so easily as does Jeff's first chromatic he made which is on the Bisiach labeled Bass. I think re-cutting the back is not a bad idea either. It looks pretty but it's almost like having sharp ridges in the Neck between positions. I might need to carry some First-aid stuff to play with it as it is now.

I think the Robertson's is a good Extension overall but for me, I need it modified to what I have become used to and that's smoothness, ease of use and very comfortable all around.