View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road
Default A bit off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Hughes View Post
What is AO-BO and the difference related to? I gather that it's to do with volume output, but can you give us a layman's interpretation?
Gareth, I will attempt to clear up the confusion, however, I am not as well versed in the terminology or methodology of resonance matching of A zero and B zero as Mr. Branstetter.

This terminology describes nothing to do with microphones' volume output but rather refers to resonance characteristics of stringed instruments which can be determined using microphones as tools in the measuring or determination of these values. The discussion deserves a thread of its' own, which Mr. Branstetter has declined. More information can be found in the published studies of Carleen Hutchins. I think A Zero is the Helmholz frequency or the cavity resonance and B zero is the lowest frequency that the neck and fingerboard and scroll assembly vibrate at. A zero can't easily be adjusted once an instrument is built. But it can be determined by a few methods. Once determined, the B zero frequency can be adjusted by adding or subtracting weight from the fingerboard or scroll to match the A zero frequency or a partial or harmonically related frequency. The desired result is a more responsive instrument.

We now return you to our regularly broadcast discussion of miniature condenser microphones and the application of these to double bass amplification ......

Last edited by David Powell; 09-14-2007 at 12:40 PM.