View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Johannes Hejl View Post
Thank you Ken, for the informative reply!

111,5 is the vibrating string length.

I bought this bass just a few weeks ago, trading in a 1960 W.German 3/4 gamba flatback, that I have been playing since I was 17. Adjusting to a new and larger bass is like starting over, but I am definitely enjoying the ride.

My new bass is very vibrant, and responds strongly to small changes in soundpost/bridge placement. On the other hand different strings does not make the huge difference I am used to. So far I have settled for the rather high tension mix of Spirocore E, A and Oliv D, G.

I have had the string distance at the saddle narrowed from 11.1 to 9.6 mm. I also tried narrowing the string distance at the bridge, but decided against it, because it made the sound more dull. It is now 28 mm on a 17.3 cm high bridge.

I find it easy to set this bass up for a big arco sound. I am working on getting the pizz. feel and sound just right as well...

Here is a picture of a Johan Braun (Mittenwald) bass for sale at Nahrmann, that might be similar (except that it is flatback):
http://imgur.com/a/9d3T2/embed

- Johs

Wow, 111.5 is nearly 44". That's big. I have owned basses like that before but we always modify them in restoration to 42"(106.7) or less. On the Braun bass, that looks 100% like a Neuner-Hornsteiner bass, gears, linings, model and all. Perhaps he was a bass maker for them. I have in my files somewhere pictures of that Zimmerman bass I mentioned. When I get the time, I will try posting them.