View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Posting Member

Jeff Moote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Moote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Federle View Post
There is a Misek concerto ?
Mental slip - I meant sonata and have corrected the above. There's three sonatas I can find (Op. 5, 6, 7) from Misek.

Quote:
Something to remember when dealing with our older concertos though is that they really are transcriptions almost. They were for a bass tuned much differently then what we use today (Viennese tuning). To get an idea of how different things were search youtube and you will find someone playing the Vanhal there in Viennese tuning. With that said the part written in D might be more authentic. I have never done much study with the manuscript, but you should feel free to add a few ornaments or change octaves if you feel it works better musically.
Yes, I'm aware it was written for Viennese tuning (A-D-F#-A) though it was orchestrated for a scordatura tuning of a semitone making the original concert key Eb though the bass read in D). I've seen the clip on YouTube and it certainly does look a lot easier in some passages (such as Dmaj arpeggios - just use the octave harmonic of the top 3 strings!). I'll be playing it tuned in fifths (C-G-D-A) so I have the advantage in some passages of the harmonics of the top two strings, but double stopping all the seconds and thirds in the cadenza could be annoying.

I am approaching it much like a transcription and will keep an eye to the manuscript as well. I'll learn my way around the notes according to the editors version, and like you said do any octave transposition or additional ornaments as I feel appropriate with the manuscript as a guideline. What is it with composers and terrible musical penmanship anyway?

Thanks again for the input!

Last edited by Jeff Moote; 08-01-2007 at 11:47 PM.