View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGuire View Post
1). The ability to have a third pickup in the neck area. I'm sure this has been tried? Would this add some deeper tone to the perspective?

2). optional chambered cores in the body wing areas to reduce weight. I played a Sadowsky NY with a chambered body and it was an awesome improvement. I didn't notice any dif.

3). Electronics to be able to switch to an old school single coil kind of vibe.

Please don't shot me! These are just some ideas for discussion! I love the ken smith I just got. Great bass. However, I still am bringing two basses to the gigs I've been playing when I need an old school vibe I bring either a 65 jazz bass or an old 4003 Ric and in addition to the KS BSR5GN for the newer fusion jazz stuff we do.

1, 2, & 3.. Been there and done that.

The 3rd pickup is not worth the trouble tonally and will gove the Bass some added weight as well. Want more Bass, use the tone controls, active and passive..

The Body story you tell on that 'parts' brand. Did you Play that exact same bass with and without the chambers? Same body both times? If not, the results you claim were not science. Just one bass compared to another.

You have to route those chambers 'before' gluing things up. What happens if a small drip of glue breaks off into that now closed chamber or some wood dust or a wood chip? Also, how do you control the extra frequency bounce caused by the chambers? Want a real Bass? Buy that big thing they call a Double Bass. Want solid sounds and controlled? Then keep it as solid as possible.

On the Single Coil we have tested this years ago with this Pickup. We have some new 3-way switches to test out we just got in when time allows. My Distributor in Japan has put some of these in a few Basses.

So, how many ways can you slice an apple? Still an apple..