View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
Fender serial numbers from that time period are nowhere near that precise. All you can truly infer from a Fender Serial number is the approximate year the neck plate was made within 18 months or so. Assuming all original parts Neck date stamps, pickup markings, and pot numbers taken along with the serial number can get you a 3-6 month assumption about construction date. Shipping date is not inferable from any numbers on the bass.
This is interesting information Phil. I have a Fender P, numbered 406527. Like Michael Holden's P, the tugbar is on the G side. I bought this bass used from a pawn shop in Albany, Ga in spring of 1975. When I got curious as to the exact age of my bass, I enquired to the then Fender, Rogers, Rhodes (CBS musical instruments) company. That was in 1976. They sent me a nice letter on company stationery that I still have. Apparently if you asked them at that time, the records were pretty precise. Quoting the May 28, 1976 reply from Vince Basse, Service Manager: "Our records show that your bass was built August 2, 1973 and was originally sold to Bibb Music in Macon, Georgia. We have no idea who purchased the instrument from this store." I guess the records got fuzzier with time.

I also have a nice old '69 Gibson. The best they can tell me now is 1967-69, but back in 1977, Norlin identified it as a 1969. My guess is that the earlier you asked about the manufacture date, the better the information will be. Anyway Michael's came somewhat after mine, but probably not that long, assuming the numbers are sequential. Also there is no neck stamp of any kind on my bass that I can find.

Last edited by David Powell; 02-14-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: omission