View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

I hear what you're saying Dave. While I don't disagree that "At Last" is a great record, IMO - if it were released today exactly as it originally was, do you think that it would be a great record? Pretend you knew nothing about her and had never heard it before, then answer. Maybe your answer wouldn't change, and that's OK. But I'm not so sure. In any event, my statement is more directed to more recent, say the last 20 years or so, deals, and is based upon my personal experiences. I've been the performer in the studio and live, a listener in the studio and live, and also the mixer of a master that the recording mixer was clueless on. Too many times I've heard and seen the results be bad as compared to the performance that I just did or heard someone else do solely due to poor mixing skills. My mixing deal was by necessity. I told the mixer that I could do a better job than he had done, so he offered to let me do it. No regrets from anyone. I'm also not trying to step on any one's toes, just stating the facts from my experiences.

I peaked at your place's site when you first joined up and would love to visit if I ever get back to Nashville.