View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Ken Smith Bass + LMKII = Superior Tone

Ive been playing my Ken Smith Basses a lot more lately. Especially since I got a LMKII + Bag End Speakers. What a difference for my Smith Basses. So much so - I changed the setup on my basses to a much faster action. IMO - the LMKII excels at converting quick riffs/phrases to the speakers.

I hope this makes sense - but the LMKII sounds quicker to my ear.

Also, with the price just under $600 for 500 watts at 4 ohms - its kind of tough to beat. I travel with my LMKII in a laptop case bag - with all the cables for amp - and a tuner.

One of the requirements at the start of this thread was "something light". The LMKII is 6.5 lbs.

The LMKII is made in Italy. So I have no clue as to how the service will be if something breaks. I have noticed that this amp does NOT get hot. Even when pushed hard for extended period of time. ...but still this amp has not been tested by me during the heat of the summer - outside with no shade.

I must also note - Tim B. has been thinking about the WT550 in a big way. I cannot wait to try one.

So my two-cents is... Ken Smith bass + LMKII = Superior Tone & Portability - the price point seems to be reasonable.

I am trading an ampeg sp210 (76lbs @220 watts) for my second LMKII this week

I saw a photo of a GK MB500. Similar to the LMKII - and made in the USA (I think made in the USA).

Here is the link to it: http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...namm-pics.html