View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Dark and deep sounds like a desirable trait in a bass until you try and mix that in a rhythm section. I can't tell you how many extra hours I spent in the studio working on the sound of a very dark and deep old Italian bass ( Valentini?) strung with spiros no less, on 12 album tracks. As you've said , Ken, Juzeks can sound good for jazz and pop because of their more mid-range character.
Ok Eric, I played in Rhythm sections for 20 years in NYC. Also, 15 of those years was on my Old Italian bass with spiros or some other string with growl and I had no problem recording with it or playing live. The problem was finding a pick-up that would work, as the true fundamental of the notes were too thick for all the pickups on the market I had tried. I ended up inlaying the Barcus-Berry T-bar (that goes ON the bridge with a 'paste' of some sort) INSIDE the bridge on the inner curve about half way in its depth and capped it with ebony. I still have that bridge but the bass is in Finland, modified as a 5-string now and on the principal chair.

I think 'how' you record a bass is very important. If the engineer is used to a Juzek-type bass, then that set-up on the board wont work on a 300 year old Italian bass. Bring that Valenitini bass or what ever it is (never heard of that maker) and I will make it work.