View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok... update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have the Flex Deluxe on one of my basses, tried and took them off one bass and tried them on another bass as well. I played one show with them a few days ago and they are ok. They don't knock me out. I prefer the Passione Stark to them as far as on the two basses I have tried both of these sets on.
A few weeks ago I put a set of Jargar Dolce strings on the hart and took off the Kaplans. I had used the Jargar mediums last year but was interested to try the Dolce set out. So, I took off the Kaplan's after about 3 concerts with no complaints on them but I just had to try the Jargars that were in my cabinet calling my name everything I shuffled thru the sets I had in stock.

Yesterday while testing basses side by side (which I do a lot of) we noticed that the Mougenot was so much louder than the Hart was. When they both had Passiones, the difference was much less. So, my assistant here suggested I try switching the Jargars and Flex Deluxe sets between the Hart and the Mougenot. I had been noticing the Deluxe's smoothing out a bit as they sat on the bass with only occasional playing on them so, I thought it was worth the chance. So, yesterday afternoon I switched the two basses around.

The results;
The Mougenot sounds a bit less powerful with the Jargars but much smoother and deeper than it did with the Deluxe's. An improvement because that bass has power to spare.

The Hart now sounds maybe better than it has in a long time if not ever. The strings are not quite as bright as when they were new and the Hart seems to have gotten more powerful than I can remember it ever being. Belcantos are the only other string that puts out as much power on the Hart but the tone is less sweet than the Deluxe set.

So, I will play the Hart now with these Flex-Deluxe's on it and see how long I go before changing to something else.