View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Gemunders..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
I played a Gemunder at Arnold's shop a couple of months ago....It was so sweet sounding and responsive I was speachless.
The French looking Gemunder at his shop was made by George after he left Vuillaume and moved to USA. The one pictured above may be a George as well. All the August ones I have seen were Gamba. I have one now as well but it is in a year long restoration. It is August Martin Sr., Georges older brother. Completely different style Bass and equally different sounding.

The one above (and now below) may possibly be the exact same Bass. George is only known to have made two Basses. Maybe Arnold who knows the current owner can confirm if this is the exact same Bass in both pictures old and new. They look like the exact same maker and maybe the exact same Bass with a few decades between pictures.

I played some type of Gemunder about 15-20 years ago in Anaheim at the NAMM show at a Guitar Player magazine breakfast. There was a Piano/Bass duo playing and somehow after not playing at all for many years (retired from the game), someone convinced me to sit in. The Bass I played I was told was a Gemunder made in NY. I don't remember if it was George, August or the sons. The Varnish was darker and different than both the George that Arnold has and my August as well.

I think mine and the one Arnold had were made in Mass. (Springfield for August Sr. and maybe Boston for George as he came to the states from Paris after his brother came over from Germany). They both moved to USA within a year or so of each other and both moved to NY separately (1852/George, 1859/August).

I don't have pics of mine to post because it was in dis-repair and unplayable when I bought it. Arnold and I both agreed it would be best if the Bass was shown only after it was restored and playable. It's long and slenderish as compared to a Prescott but similar flame type American Sugar Maple Back and Ribs often seen on Prescotts.