View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

What have we got here?

I have owned 3 Lipkins Bows (2 currently) and 2 Bultitudes recently not to mention all the others. All Bows even by the same maker sound different. I had a 12 year old kid here yesterday with his mom and dad picking out one of my Loveri Bows. He already has a C.Loveri from me and came to buy a second Bow. His was 140 grams so I pulled out 7 Loveri Bows all at 140 grams and laid them out for him to try. The mom and dad as well as the kid could hear the differences from Bow to Bow as could I. Yes, he played about the same with each Bow but some Bows just gave him more sound with his touch.

First off, is that Ruggieri a real labelled authenticated Ruggieri or just attributed to him and which member of the Ruggieri family actually made that Bass? I am just personally curious.

On the Fetique/Ruggeri combo, first off did you know that Fetique Bows are on the light side and considered by most to be more of a solo Bow than an Orchestra Bow?

Prochownick and Hudson are not top of the line Bass Bow makers. They are good but more in the middle of the field as compared to Lipkins and Fuchs.

Each stick used for a Bow will sound and feel different. The Maker cannot change what the wood will do on its own. You guys have a lot to learn yet about Basses, Bows and their differences but it's nice to see this argued in the friendly spirit of things. I just wish you would listen more and argue less. I am not trying to sell you my Lipkins or Bultitude as they are really not for sale. Just trying to tell you from my experience and all the great Basses and Bows I have played and heard played how much they differ. Also, it's not so much that someone sounds almost the same no matter what he plays as you put it but rather how that person feels about how the 'tools' in his hand feel.