View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

Ken-

I'm not positive about whether it has a label or attributed, he always just says his Ruggieri.

I do now that a Fetique bow is considered a solo bow, but I also come from a school of playing where we believe in one sound for solo and orchestral playing. Mr. Laszlo does have heavier bows that he uses for orchestra, I'm just not sure of the name.

As for Prochownik vs. Hudson vs. Lipkins. I am a German bow player and have never been in touch with a Lipkins German bow so I can't say anything but I've heard great things. Hudson German bows are some of the best modern handmade bows, as well as some others. I do not think Prochownick is in the same class as these two makers, and as of right now it seems like there is nobody in the same class as Lipkins. I'm not getting into that argument though because that is strictly opinionated.

I definitely understand what you are saying about perceived sound. And yes I do know that every bow responds differently, but I have listened and studied with some great players and no matter whose bass or bow they use they have their own individual sound and tone. Obviously an older bass is going to be more open and you will hear more overtones than a new Chinese bass, but I still believe and will not move on the fact that sound is from the player, and the technique in which we use a bow.

Michael -

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I'm sorry I guess. But in my experience that is my opinion, I saw a thread with two people going back and forth saying the exact same thing so I thought I'd add my opinion.

Now I have a question to put out into this thread.

My teacher always taps bows and looks to see if they have a pitch. He says that if the wood of the bow vibrates with a pitch than that is not good because the bow can react with the pitch being created. I was curious about other people's thoughts on this.