View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool No?.. Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Bichoff View Post
Ken,

I'm in your forum asking about your basses. Sorry if I was not clear about that in my previous post.
Since Smith basses uses basically the same pickups, hardware and electronics, I think woods can play an important role and be decisive to a buyer choosing his Smith bass, new or used.
I was just wondering if there's a way to make decisions easier but you already answered that: NO!

Thank you.
If it's a Smith Bass then I can help. But, I don't know what you are hearing in your head either as far as sound goes. Describing sound is like describing taste. I can tell you that chocolate is sweeter than potatoes. That is in general. Walnut to my ear has more audible high mids than Maple. Which species of Walnut? Which species of Maple? What part of the Bass? How thick of a piece? So so many variables that I can only compare them to themselves if all other parts are the same.

Did you go and read my Wood Pages? I describe the sounds of each and everyone of them!

This also depends on the model as the amount of laminations and overall design plays a role in the sound of the bass. Not just a piece of wood as if dropping it on the floor to hear its tone. In that way I can actually compare better but only if each piece is the exact same dimensions and the same floor used each time..

Pick your model first and go from there.