View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jose Bichoff is on a distinguished road
Default Narrowing possibilities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If it's a Smith Bass then I can help. But, I don't know what you are hearing in your head either as far as sound goes. Describing sound is like describing taste. I can tell you that chocolate is sweeter than potatoes. That is in general. Walnut to my ear has more audible high mids than Maple. Which species of Walnut? Which species of Maple? What part of the Bass? How thick of a piece? So so many variables that I can only compare them to themselves if all other parts are the same.

Did you go and read my Wood Pages? I describe the sounds of each and everyone of them!

This also depends on the model as the amount of laminations and overall design plays a role in the sound of the bass. Not just a piece of wood as if dropping it on the floor to hear its tone. In that way I can actually compare better but only if each piece is the exact same dimensions and the same floor used each time..

Pick your model first and go from there.

I'm considering and saving money for a BT6G 5-piece body and neck.

The sound that I'm after is as follows:
1- strong and tight lows
2- powerful mids (specially low mids)
3- soft but articulated highs

Your Woods page have been of great help so far. As you say, so many variables to consider...
I just want to get close as possible from the target in the first shot.

Any idea? I'm considering Imbuia for Top/Back, Mahogany Core and Maple laminates...

Thank you, my friend.