Thread: Josef Budil
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Nathan Levine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I think I have seen this before when you posted it on TB. Interesting looking bass. If it is holding up well then you are in good shape. If the sound is not what you expect, maybe it can be opened up by a good luther, the top graduations adjusted and a new bass bar, That can do wonders for a bass. He can use a magnetic gauge before opening the bass to check the graduations.
Actually the top may have been to thin to begin with. You might notice a little caving in at the bottom of the f-hole. The bass bar had become unattached at the bottom and my luthier here in AK had to take the top off and get it re-attached properly. It seemed to give it back some of its original shape, but not quite all of it.

This was noted by Hammond Ashly when I brought it over from Amsterdam in 2003 and had them appraise it. Not to much movement in those eight years, but I figured it was time for it to get fixed so we went for it.

Have you seen any of these Budil basses here in the states? A european guy suggested that they were to be found throughout Europe and in Asia to some extent.

I love the sound of it. Wonderfully deep and rich, especially with the Genssler Jazz Quint set I am running on it. 5ths tuning on this bass has made an already lovely sound go from great to even better.

I have been thinking about something with a slightly smaller scale. 42" is fine, but whenever I play a 41.5" or a 41" is just feels a tad more comfortable. A loud chamber / solo bass with a 39-40" scale is on my GAS list.

Perhaps I can just wait patiently for Mr. Sypher to sell me his Lombardi. I was, after all, born in 1976 on the 14th of April. Or maybe save up the ducats for a Prescott. I love the look of the Gamba that Upton has. Now I just have to get up to Boston to try it out.