View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ah.. ok...

David, I just read your post. I lost count on how many subjects you were addressing but I do feel sleepy..

The Jumpy stuff and tapping etc. has me confused.

I have two nearly identical Sue Lipkins Bows made only a few months apart in 2006. I recently asked her why one is brighter sounding and the other darker and broader sounding. She said it was in the wood first off and by tapping it she can get an idea what the results will be. I am waiting on my first actual custom made Bow from her after buying 4 of them within the last 3 years. One was from Sue from her last competition effort and the other 3 form various players no longer using them. The 'Competition' is the best of the 4 Bows in my opinion. All of them are great but one of them stands out for my taste.

The one she is currently making for me is actually being documented along the process for both my viewing and her website (maybe) as she mentioned that she's never photographed all the steps before in making her Bows. This will be posted on my website providing all the photos are usable. After almost 3 weeks she has just completed my Frog. It is only the second Sartory Frog she has ever made, the first being for a genuine Sartory as a replacement.

Finding any kind or particular Bow that is good or great for a cheap price does not in itself constitute it being a cheap Bow. Bows have to be judged side by side in a fair market to just their worth. On the flip side, paying a lot of money for a Bow does not necessary mean it will rate along side with other Bows of a similar price.

The better you play, the easier it will be to judge a Bow or Bass when comparing some of the finer points within either the playability or construction.

When I started back playing again I Bought 3 Basses in about 4 years upgrading slightly each time. I did a similar thing with Bows. As I got my 'chops' back gradually I started yearning for a better Bass and Bow. I think that I am now able to tell what is best for me permanently as far as a Bass or Bow goes. Maybe in a few years what I have now will not be suitable for me or maybe I will better grow into one or more of my Basses and/or Bows as my playing improves in time.