View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 06:55 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Baker View Post
Hi Ken, and all,

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

From what I understand, the most common combinations for body construction that Ken uses is Walnut Top/Back + Maple core, or Maple Top/Back + Walnut core.

I wanted to ask what are the distinctive characteristics of these combinations. My understanding is that Walnut provides good lows and low mids, and Maple helps to add clarity, definition and good high frequencies, but I might be completely wrong. Since the woods are the same, but the combinations different, I'm curious about the differences produced by them.

I'm also very curious about the outcome of the Ken Smith basses that have used Cocobolo for the top and back. I'm in love with Cocobolo wood, but I've never had the change to play a Ken Smith made with Cocobolo wood.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge, and apologies if this question has been asked before.

Ok, well, your description doesn't quite meet my ear here. It is the Walnut that gives the maple the mids and definition and not that other way around. As fa as Cocobolo goes, new regulations for exporting or importing instruments is a problem with Cocobolo. By the time rules were changed on quantity of wood to allow single instruments, I had already sold off all of my Cocobolo stock. Also, the paperwork is expensive just to declare what you have and agencies around the world do not even now what to allow or not.

So for the two main combinations I like, the Walnut is the brighter and the Maple, maybe the smoother. Depends on the individual pieces used. Also, the neck and fingerboard wood makes sound as well. There is variation inn all woods as fat as sound goes so there is no exact science.