View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb same what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Keep in mind though that these listening tests were the same model basses with either a well made carved back or a well made flat back bass.
I had 6 modern basses here one day, all the same model with roundbacks. No two sounded alike and they were quite close to each other in wood and measurements. A flatback on one would be as different. You cant compare different basses and point to the back style as the reason for anything. It's only one component.

The first basses made in Brescia 400 years ago were flatback with an angle break. What kind of basses they were we don't know for sure but now they are Double basses and each costing more than my house.

Like I said, my opinion is that each bass made or repaired should be looked at individually and not as a model to be done one way unless you are making production basses in plywood or even carved.

I have 5 flatback basses right here in my office. Two English, two Italian and one German. Three of them have angle breaks. No two of these 5 basses have the exact same bracing system. Only one of them would I change anything inside and that is only because it was repaired a long time ago. The other 4 were all recently re-braced one way or another.