View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Posting Member

Vince Jesse is on a distinguished road
Cool The Decline of Manufacturing in USA

There are so many reasons why manufacturing has declined so much but money is at the root of all of them.

I think we all realize that increased efficiency and automated production were responsible for the first big job eliminations in the 70's and 80's. Weeding out the bloated parts of industries during those times was inevitable. And as digitally controlled machines got better things only accelerated. But then things get murky. Rising health care costs hurt. The rise of offshore manufacturing subsidized by currency manipulation or lack of environmental and workplace regulation is huge of course. Just the inevitable consolidation of an industry brings workloads up and wages down.

I have an example of a certain managerial mindset that has crept in. I know a guy who works for a large local company that makes scissors. He's an engineer and has been involved in designing molds and dies. In the nineties management there decided to start having these complicated and expensive tools made in China because it cost much less. After that, for years production struggled because the molds would be wrong and have to be sent back or re worked here. Or the molds would have a very short life because heat treatment was poor. Now after 15 years, for a variety of reasons the tools coming from China are better but when you look at the overall picture, the cost savings haven't been dramatic. In the meantime good paying careers have disappeared and an important knowledge base has been diminished.

There used to be a time when having a large R&D department was a source of pride for many companies. Now it's a liability.

Quote:
Followed up from this; The manufacturing industry in the United States is dying. If someone in the U.S. has an idea for any musical instrument related product I suggest that we keep all aspects of production right here in the USA. And have it made locally.

When I designed my "capos" it was about five years ago, before I had even looked at Mr. Anzellotti's. None of these designs are a novel concept, just a proven style of adjustable bracket found on all types of assemblies for hundreds or thousands of years. I was asked to come up with something to install on extensions with poorly functioning stops. It seems like mine ended up being a similar concept but easier and cheaper to make. If you have files, a few drills, taps and a drill press you could make them. Also, the standoff distance or bracket width is adjustable - simply disassemble the two brass parts, belt sand until you have the dimension that works then re polish.

I like the idea of an adjustable, easy to mount bracket. It just makes sense in many ways. With that said I think ebony fingers are much more comfortable and allow an individual, artistic touch. Kind of like decorating a bridge.

Arguing about who's capos are most attractive is pretty dumb. I'd say a more important question is do you want to be at the mercy of someone else's product or design? No, you don't.