View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I would just like to point out a terrific company bucking the trend: Lie-Nielsen Tools of Maine, USA. My shop practically runs on their excellent hand tools--planes, chisels, and specialty tools. They do everything in-house, including casting and machining. Their products are expensive (like Smith electric basses or my double basses), but heirloom-quality and worth every penny. Woodworkers the world over cherish and collect their products. Have a look:http://lie-nielsen.com

+1. Although I use them less than I used to, I still appreciate the significance of my Lie Nielsen tools.

Interestingly, their large rebate plane (copy of the Record #73) is such a close match to the original, that the parts are interchangeable; I have a L-N handle mounted on my old Record plane (the old casting got cracked). I also especially love my small, low-angle L-N block plane.

From an old-timer I apprenticed with, I received several of the original old Stanley tool catalogs. Several of the L-N plane line are reissues, with improvements, of the discontinued Stanley or Record lines. While I still treasure my old Stanley Bedrock planes, the L-N stuff is very sweet....

Hock plane irons are also nice, and a good complement for the L-N stuff.

Well-made manufactured items represent a series of decisions. For me, as a professional craftsperson, it works best only to buy only things that represent manufacturing decisions that also express my beliefs, as a "maker."

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 06-16-2010 at 03:50 PM.