View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mendelson View Post
Well, I just put a set of 6 string T-I's on my BSR6EG (since I recently acquired another 6 Frettless Smith, figured I need one with flats now!)...

Strings fit perfectly, play and sound great!

The .136 fits in the nut just fine (if it were any bigger I don't think it would)...

The T-I's on the B-E-A strings have spaced out windings and can almost feel like ground-wounds. i did notice that the windings near the nut on the B string spaced out a little bit, so I losend the string and pulled it out of the nut and tuned up again this time pushing the string towards the tuner. The windings look more uniform now. It isnt something that would cause a problem, but I did notice the winding got a little caught and needed a little help.

I'll tell ya, I have never been so nervous changing a set of strings in my life! Especially when doing the B string... These things are expensive!
If the windings are spaced out and then move back at some point your strings are basically loose on the outside and coming apart to that degree. Flatwound are not flexible like round or ground type strings because the wire under the top wrap is also flat wire wound at the opposite angle IF they are true Flatwounds. Ground wounds like our Slick Rounds are the closest we offer that has a similar look and feel to a Flatwound. Mainly because of the reasons stated above as well as the problem you've just experienced.