View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation w/recordings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I know a lot of people like to listen to recordings or even play along with them, and clearly that can be a useful tool, but I think that it can also be a crutch or a hinderance. I actually like to approach things without any interpretation or context already in my head when possible. I use a metronome and try not to slow it down too much - I think it's easy to get fixated and distracted playing tougher passages at painfully slow tempos and lose the continuity altogether. For me, looking at my parts like this creates a dry understanding going into a rehearsal, so that when they're put into a musical context things are much easier and I can focus the business of paying attention to the ensemble and playing well, and not just proficiently.
When you walk into the first rehearsal after practicing 'without' having done it with a recording, you might get knocked of the stage when you hear what else is being played around you. Not to mention getting lost as well. Using a recording is the closest thing to having played it before. With section work, the more the merrier. It is not about being an individual here, it is about playing good in a section. Different ball game!