View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

I have had BC's on my bass since Christmas. So far:

- Easy under the stick
- Take less arm weight than I am used to...they work better with a lighter touch
- While better than anything else I have tried except Flexocor's for arco, they lack some of the Flexo's punch, on my bass. Not worse, just a little different.
- Even across all strings
- No "choking out" when I put more arm weight/less speed on the bow and play down near the bridge...a nice, piercing sound there, when playing in TP, on all four strings (yes, even the E).
- Consistent sound from the bottom note to the top of TP
- I like the pizz sound/feel. They don't have the fretless EB thing going like Spiro Weichs can (endless sustain without effort), but they growl plenty for me. A clear, warm pizz sound, to my ear.
- Soft under the hands, supple feeling, a nicely polished surface
- A little "floppy" but not troublesome...no rolling or anything like that
- Hold their tuning really well. Virtually no stretching after the first day or two.

I like them way better than Obligatos, Helicores, Corelli's, Spiro Weich, or Thomastik Superflexibles for arco, hand's down. Not as much as Flexo for projection and edge, but they are nice in their own way.

Haven't tried the Evah Pirazzi's, Eurosonic's, or Permanents, so can't compare to those.