View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Suggestions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Berkowitz View Post
I've had a '60s American Standard upright since the early '80s, but I've never been that happy with how it sounds. In particular, the E string sounds choked and lacks depth/punch. The whole bass is a bit midrangy.

My main use is for swing or acoustic blues, although I occasionally do some arco for classical stuff...but certainly not my main use.

Two different shops have looked at this bass. One shortened the soundpost until it would barely stay in, along the way finding it had been installed sideways before. The second shop added a shim onto the bottom of the soundpost to make it longer and moved the bridge up to shorten the scale to about 42" from its original 43+ inches.

With these moves, the bridge had been a bit too tall at one point, it was cut down and then sometime after needed to have the adjusters raised about 1/2". The string height is comfortable now and I'm using Permanents.

My question then: What should be expected from this bass, especially from the E string? I thought it was supposed to be a loud, big sounding bass.

And a related question: Is there something to look at that would eliminate the choked sound of the E string?

If it matters, the neck had been broken at the heel when I bought it and the repair job has held all these years. Recently, in cleaning and resealing the neck, I noticed that there is a fine crack running approximately parallel to the fingerboard for the first 8 or so inches. This may have been part of the original break, but I didn't see it until cleaning things up.

Also, it's virtually the only double bass I've played, other than in a shop.

Suggestions?
Pictures of all this would be better for discussion. I do have 2 questions for you.

1) What is the 'Neck Stand' of this Bass? (the distance between the Top and the bottom edge of the Fingerboard where the Neck meets the Top/body).

2) What is the height of your Bridge at the center from the Top to the top of the Bridge between the D and A strings in the middle of the Bridge with the String height off the Fingerboard about 5-6mm under the G and 8-10mm under the E at the end of the Fingerboard?

Before other problems can be addressed it is important to know how the Neck is set and the flexibility of the set-up heights of the Strings. Your Bass already has some severe damage that could cost more to fix traditionally than the Bass is worth. This is mentioned in a New Thread "What's in a Set-up?" Try reading that and see what might apply to your Bass. Again, pictures will make it easier to answer your questions. The 'E' string is most often weaker sounding than the 'A' on the bottom end. This is the nature or our Beast but taming it is often one for the Pros.

You may need to get your Bass to a better Shop more on the lines of Jeff, Arnold or Nick. I don't know who is closest to you that does their level of work but John of CSC/Shen knows a lot of shops in the country and might be able to suggest one.